Connect with us

Uncategorized

Bombay High Court calls Sadhvi Pragyas case an odd case, questions her confinement in jail

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur


Hearing a bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur , arrested in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, the Bombay High Court today asked how she could be kept in prison when the prosecuting agency had said that there was no case against her.

Thakur moved the high court after the special court for Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act cases denied her bail on June 28.

The division bench of Justices N H Patil and P D Naik asked the National Investigating Agency (NIA) to submit a compilation of all the previous orders and judgements pertaining to the case.

Thakur was given a clean chit by the NIA earlier this year, but the trial court refused her bail.

Her petition in the high court said that the lower court had failed to take into consideration the change in circumstances.

In November 2015, the special court denied her bail, holding that prima facie there was some evidence against her.

But in May, NIA filed a fresh charge sheet (after taking over the case from Maharashtra ATS), which gave a clean chit to Thakur.

Senior Advocate Avinash Gupta on behalf of Sadhvi Pragya argued for over two hours on Thursday saying that there was no material evidence against her. NIA’s counsel also told the High Court that the agency had concluded that charges against Sadhvi Pragya could not be substantiated, and the earlier charge sheet filed by ATS was erroneous.

“This is an odd case where the prosecution has no objections and yet the accused is denied bail and has been kept behind the bars,” the bench observed, seeking copies of both the charge sheets and the special court’s orders denying her bail. Next hearing would be on November 16.

Six persons died and 100 were injured in the bomb blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.
Noted lawyer Senior Counsel Avinash Gupta (assisted by Advocate Aakash Gupta) and Advocate S D Dewani appeared for the applicant.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Uncategorized

Nitin Gadkari graces screening of ‘Me Vasantrao’ at Sudama Theatre in Nagpur

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Photographer : Nitin Mankar | Photographer : Bhavesh Mahalle | Nagpur

Union Minister Nitin Gadkari graced the special screening of Marathi movie ‘Me Vasantrao’ – a movie based on the life of Hindustani classical singer and violinist Vasantrao Deshpande.

The screening was held at Sudama Theatre in Nagpur on Sunday evening in the presence family members, friends and the cast of the movie.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Mayor Dayashankari Tiwari kicks off polio drive in Nagpur

Published

on

By

Nation Next Newsroom | Bombuflat

Nagpur Mayor Dayashankar Tiwari, on Sunday, launched Nagpur Municipal Corporation’s (NMC) door-to-door polio campaign drive. He, along with Deputy Mayor Manisha Dhawade visited Rognidan Centre in Mahal, Nagpur and inaugurated the campaign by giving polio drops to a toddler.
As per NMC officials, ten Zonal Medical Officers and Ten Health inspectors would visit every house in their respective zones, in order to vaccinate children between the ages of zero-five to immune them against polio.
NMC had recognised Sunday as the official day for polio vaccination. Under Polio Ravivar, they plan to vaccinate more than three lakh kids in Nagpur. They also urged Nagpurkars to vaccinate their children at pulse Polio Booths near their homes from 8 am- 5 pm, on Sunday.
NMC Standing Committee Chief, Corporator Vijay Zalke spoke to Nation Next regarding this campaign and said, This year’s polio drive is going to be bigger than last year. We are planning to vaccinate around 3- 3.15 lakh kids. NMC is bearing the cost of infrastructure and execution. The state government provided us with the doses.
He further stated that there were special teams to vaccinate the homeless during night. ?When it comes to the health of Nagpurkars, money is not a factor we should think about, said Zalke when asked about NMC’s current financial crunch.
As per Zalke, vaccination facility would also be available in slums,, factory areas and other outskirts of Nagpur.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Congress legislator caught watching porn in Karnataka Assembly

Published

on

By

Nation Next Newsroom | Bombuflat

Congress leader Prakash Rathod, on Friday, was caught on camera while allegedly scrolling through few adult content clips in the State Assembly. This turned out to be a huge embarrassment for both, Congress and Rathod as regional channels aired the video, in which he was ?caught in the act.
The MLC member was present in the house during the proceedings of the legislative council. While the house was in session, Rathod was watching adult content on his smartphone.
However, he threw these charges under the bus and said, I was looking for materials for a question I wanted to ask the government in question hour.
?When I was looking for question material, I deleted too many messages as my phone storage was full. What the media has shown or seen, I don’t know. I would never do such things or see such things, he added.
This was not the first time in Karnataka that such an incident had happened. Back in 2012, three Bharatiya Janata Party ministers were caught on camera allegedly watching adult content in the State Assembly. Following the scandal, they resigned from the state government due to public embarrassment.

Continue Reading

Trending

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x