Track Nation Next on Social Media

Legal

Johnson & Johnson ordered to pay Rs 890 crore after woman blames baby powder for causing cancer

Johnson's baby powder

Brooklyn resident alleges Johnson’s baby powder?containing asbestos, which caused her cancer

Justice Gerald Lebovitz, State Supreme Court of Manhattans federal judge in the US ordered Americas multinational corporation Johnson & Johnson to pay $120 million (around Rs 890 crore) damage to a woman and her husband hailing from Brooklyn, after she blamed her cancer on asbestos exposure from using the companys baby powder.

Donna (67) and her husband Robert Olson (65) in May 2019, had testified that Donna was using companys baby powder or shower to bathe daily for over 50 years, which resulted in her getting Mesothelioma (tumor caused by inhaling asbestos fibres).
Following this, the court had earlier ordered a damage of $325 million (around Rs 2,929 crore) from the company. However, after a 14-week trial, the justice ruled that damages were too high and reduced the payout to $120 million on Wednesday.
The total payout includes $15 million of compensatory damages and $105 million of punitive damages, down from an original $25 million and $300 million, respectively. The justice also implied that Oslons could either accept $120 million or have a new trial on damages.
Jerome Block, a lawyer for the Oslons, said that they were satisfied with the result and were confident that it would be upheld if appealed. He further said that Donnas Mesothelioma was at an advanced stage and that they were hoping for the best.

Also read : Johnson and Johnson temporarily stops COVID-19 vaccine trial as participant falls ill 
The multinational corporation has said that it would appeal the verdict, citing significant legal and evidentiary errors during the trial. We deeply sympathize with anyone suffering from cancer, which is why the facts are so important. We remain confident that our talc is safe, asbestos free, and does not cause cancer, the company said.
Currently, the company faces more than 19,000 lawsuits from numerous consumers alleging that the product is contaminated with asbestos.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Nagpur News

Nagpur citizens to revel The Raaas Garba next year!

Published

on

By

Nation Next Newsroom | Nagpur

The Raaas (2018)

Since The Raaas enchanted and enthralled Nagpur with its quality garba in its first year in 2018, the demand for encore has been reverberating the city. To cater to the huge public demand, the organisers of the king of garbas have decided to continue The Raaas next year on. Like its first year, The Raaas Garba will be presented to Nagpur in association with Nation Next in 2023. Mahesh Kukreja, the key organiser said, “Because of some reasons, we, earlier, thought of giving the event a break.”

He added, “Then COVID-19 struck the world. Now we plan to continue it from next year onwards. While I express my gratitude to Nagpurians to make the event a huge hit, I request the city’s garba revellers to not get fooled as a few garbas are falsely claiming to be The Raaas. We’ll be back next year for sure!”

Also read: Mesmerising sunset hues at Ramtek’s Ambala Lake in Nagpur

Continue Reading

Home Slider

Mesmerising sunset hues at Ramtek’s Ambala Lake in Nagpur

Published

on

By

Akshara Rohankar | Photographer : Bhavesh Mahalle | Nagpur

Ambala Lake in Ramtek city wore a dazzling look at the golden hour of sunset. The verdant surrounding of the lake flanked by the old and famous Shiv temple, lends a soothing and religious aura to the city known for its old heritage and mythological significance.

Also read: When Lata Mangeshkar got offended by Dilip Kumar and didn’t speak to him for 13 years

Continue Reading

Remembrance

Lata Mangeshkar’s 93rd birthday anniversary: Life story of ‘nightingale’

Published

on

By

Avani Arya | Nagpur

Today would have been late singer Lata Mangeshkar’s 93rd birthday. The ‘Queen of melody’ passed away on February 6, 2022. On her birth anniversary, Nation Next brings you her life story.

Also read: When Lata Mangeshkar got offended by Dilip Kumar and didn’t speak to him for 13 years

Continue Reading
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x