Pt Jawaharlal Nehru
Today is the 131st birth anniversary of late Indian Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and his contribution to the Indian politics and governance is considered remarkable. Nehru was fondly referred to as Chahcha Nehru? due to his fondness of children.
Here are some lesser known facts about Nehru?
1. Born on 14th November 1889 to Motilal and Swarup Rani Nehru, Jawaharlal Nehru was a Kashmiri Pandit; hence he was called as Panditji.
2. He was the first Prime Minister of India who served from 15th August 1947 to 27th May 1964 (18 years), making him the longest serving Prime Minister of India till date.
3.He was also the only Indian PM to hold Defence Ministry, Finance Ministry and Ministry of External Affairs during his term as PM.
4. Nehru was an excellent orator and writer. He authored books like The Discovery of India, Glimpses of World History and many others. His famous speech Tryst with Destiny? is considered as the first voice of Independent India.
5. He was an avid reader too. Nehru was fond of Natural Sciences and world politics. He was a graduate from Trinity College of Cambridge in UK. Later on he went to London to study law and was called at the Bar in 1912.
6. Pandit Nehru was awarded The Bharat Ratna (India’s highest civilian honour) by Indian President Dr Rajendra Prasad in 1955, without consulting Nehru, then PM.
7. Nehru met Mahatma Gandhi in 1916 and was immensely inspired by him. He became his ardent follower. He was also imprisoned several times for being a part of Non-Cooperation Movement of 1920-22.
8. He emerged as one of the most prominent leaders of the Indian National Congress. Indian independence movement gained momentum under his leadership.
9. Nehrus coming two generations also served as the Prime Ministers of India. Indira Gandhi (Nehrus daughter) was the third and only female Indian Prime Minister. Rajiv Gandhi (Indiras son) took over the office after his mother was assassinated.
10. Article 370 and 35A, which gave the state of Jammu and Kashmir a special status, were included in Indian Constitution on his advice.
11. After returning to India from London in 1912, following his fathers footsteps, for a brief period, Nehru worked as an advocate in Allahabad High Court.
12. During the freedom struggle, Nehru spent 3259 days in jail. He used to campaign against Britishers oppression against Indians by indentured labour and other gross violations of rights
13. Four assassination attempts were made 1947, 1955, 1956, 1961 to kill Nehru. However, he died of a massive heart attack on 27 May 1964.
14. 1.5 million people had gathered in the streets of Delhi on the following day to mourn Nehrus death.
And that’s how a film is made – Kantara shows the way! | Movie review
Social media is buzzing with one word today and that word is Kantara! Yes, another Kannada film after KGF that has caught the people’s fancy and how. In fact, this one goes a notch higher than KGF – because the film has been released only in Kannada with English subtitles and yet – the movie is capturing the hearts of people across India and the world.
From California, London and Berlin to cities across India, high praise is pouring in for the Rishab Shetty starrer and the actor-director’s Twitter feed is testimony to this. Ordinary cine-goers are putting screenshots of housefull bookings, sharing videos of people clapping and whistling in theatres and then profusely thanking the star for making this film.
So, what’s this film about? Kantara (which means forest in Sanskrit) stands out because it has powerful storytelling at its core. It is rooted in local folklore, has the right amount of action and adventure and comes with a social message too. Man versus nature, native customs and local politics, which spans three timelines and a climax that’s to die for, is what the film’s about. Add to this some superlative performances by the cast, a stellar background score by B Ajaneesh Loknath and mind-blowing cinematography by Arvind S Kashyap that serenades Karnataka’s rustic locales and you have what can be called the perfect recipe for a blockbuster film. Telling you more will just be a spoiler! So, what are you waiting for? Go watch!
October 01, 2022 | Nagpur News | नागपुर समाचार | Hindi News Bulletin | Nation Next
Nation Next Nagpur Bulletin brings to you a summary of major news events that took place in Nagpur on October 01, 2022.
Purva Kothari’s jewellery collection sparkles at ‘Intrea’ exhibition in Nagpur
Amid festivities, jewellery designer Purva Kothari conducted a two-day exhibition of diamond studded jewellery at Jawaharlal Darda Art Gallery in Nagpur on October 1 and 2.
Purva, in the past, has enticed celebrities including Director at Reliance Industries Nita Ambani, Varsha Patel wife of former minister Praful Patel, Founder at Videocon Venugopal Dhoot, Founder Chairman at GMR Group GM Rao and endorsements from Salman Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saina Nehwal, to name a few.
Also watch: All you need to know about diamonds, jewellery | Interview with designer Purva Darda Kothari