Indian Cabinet on Saturday approved an ordinance, which allows courts to award death penalty for those who have been convicted of raping children up to 12 years of age. Also, investigations in rape cases pertaining to minors would be settled within three months.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a special cabinet meeting on Saturday morning to decide capital punishment to criminals who have been accused of raping minors up to 12 years of age.
In the wake of the horrific child rapes in Unnao and Kathua, politicians like Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and Union Minister Maneka Gandhi had assured of brining a law that would ensure death penalty for child rapists.
Gandhi, who had said that Kathua rape case had deepy disturbed her, assured that she along with the ministry intended to bring an amendment in Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) Act, which seeks death penalty for raping children below 12 years of age.
As per a report in The Economic Times Here’s the complete details of the ordinance.
- Criminal Law:
- Minimum punishment in case of rape of women has been increased from rigorous imprisonment of 7 years to 10 years, extendable to life imprisonment.
- In case of rape of a girl under 16 years, minimum punishment has been increased from 10 years to 20 years, extendable to imprisonment for rest of life, which shall mean imprisonment till that persons natural life.
- The punishment for gang rape of a girl under 16 years of age will invariably be imprisonment for rest of life of the convict.
- Stringent punishment for rape of a girl under 12 years has been provided – minimum 20 years imprisonment or imprisonment for rest of life or with death.
- In case of gang rape of a girl below 12 years, punishment will be imprisonment for rest of life or death sentence.
Speedy investigation and trial:
- Time limit for investigation of all cases of rape has been prescribed, which has to be mandatorily completed within 2 months.
- Time limit for completion of trial of all rape cases has also been prescribed and it has to be necessarily completed in 2 months.
- 6 months time limit for disposal of appeals in rape cases has also been prescribed.
Restrictions on bail
- It has been prescribed that there will be no provision for anticipatory bail for a person accused of rape or gang rape of a girl under 16 years.
- It has also been provided that court has to give notice of 15 days to Public Prosecutor and the representative of the victim before deciding bail applications in case of rape of a girl under 16 years of age.
- Other measures:
In order to give effect to the legal provisions and to improve the capacity of criminal justice system to deal with rape cases, Cabinet has approved a number of important measures:
(a) Strengthening the courts and prosecution
- New Fast Track Courts will be set up in consultation with States/UTs and High Courts.
- Creation of new posts of public prosecutors and related infrastructure in consultation with States/UTs.
- Special forensic kits for rape cases to all Police Stations and hospitals.
- Dedicated manpower will be provided for investigation of rape cases in a time bound manner.
- Setting up special forensic labs in each State/UT exclusively for rape cases.
- These measures will form part of a new mission mode project to be launched within 3 months.
(b) National Database
- National Crime Records Bureau will maintain a national database and profile of sexual offenders.
- This data will be regularly shared with States/UTs for tracking, monitoring and investigation, including verification of antecedents by police.
(c) Assistance to victims
- The present scheme of One Stop Centres for assistance to victim to be extended to all districts in the country.
17 doctors perform 52 surgeries in RCNV’s noble initiative to provide health care to tribes of Melghat
A planning initiated by Dr Rajesh Singhvi, culminated into a great noble service, in association with MAHAN Trust at Melghat on January 28 and 29. A team of 17 doctors performed 52 surgeries out of which 32 were major surgeries.
Director Medical Rtn Rupeshri Bhoyar worked relentlessly to coordinate and motivate the team of doctors. Dr Ashish and Kavita Satav along with their team at the hospital extended their complete logistics and infrastructure support.
The icing on the cake were non medical activities for the children at the village. Various sports activities, distribution of Sarees sponsored by Rt.ann Sneha Parikh , the prizes to the winning teams and goodie bags to all the children was an added attraction. The children enthralled the audience with their talents at the games like Kabaddi, Kho Kho and Volleyball. Director Community Service Rtn Sandeep Duragkar coordinated the same.
Under the able leadership of President Rtn Shivani Sule with the support of Secretary Rtn Ritika Singhvi RCNV achieved another milestone with the Melghat Camp. Forever generous Rtn Aarouni Verma, Rtn Farnberg Bharucha, Rtn Swati Belkhade, Rtn Madhumati Dhawad, Chirag Singhvi and Rtn Jaishree Chhabrani were also present.
Former T20 World Cup captain Gurudas Raut inaugurates DPS MIHAN’s President’s Cup | Nagpur
The second edition of prestigious President’s Cup in Tennis Ball cricket was held in the sprawling campus of Delhi Public School MIHAN from January 27 to January 30, 2023.
2019 T20 World Cup captain Gurudas Raut was present as Chief Guest and inaugurated the event. The tournament is played on IPL format on knockout basis in which 6 teams participated comprising of students from various schools.
Indian cricketer Faiz Fazal, an Indian cricketer was present as a Chief Guest for closing ceremony. Sanjay Badkas, Secretary, VCA Nagpur and C.D. Manke, Joint Secretary and Chairman of Ground Committee of VCA Nagpur was also present on this occasion as Guests of Honor.
The finals was played between Galaxy Racers and Marvels. Galaxy Racers won the final by defeating Marvels by 11 runs and lifted the President’s Cup 2.0. Aryan Suke of Team Phoenix was awarded the Aranya Kedia Trophy for the player of the Tournament.
Faiz Fazal in his speech, appreciated the efforts taken by Delhi Public School MIHAN by organising the President’s Cup and providing facilities for the development of sports.
Nidhi Yadav, Principal DPS MIHAN highlighted the vision of President and Pro Vice Chairperson Ms. Tulika Kedia who ensures the best of sporting facilities are provided to the students for holistic education and for psycho-socio development. She also thanked the Director Savita Jaiswal for her constant guidance and support.
As a part of this event, Inter Corporate Cricket Tournament was also organised in which eight teams from different corporate sectors participated. Dr Amit Samarth, the Bicycle Mayor of Nagpur graced the occasion as Chief Guest and handed over the trophy to the winning team.
12-yr-old Nagpur boy dies after trying to imitate a deadly YouTube video
A 12-year-old boy named Agranya Barapatre in Nagpur breathed his last after trying to imitate a video on YouTube at his neighbour’s place. The woman, in the video, is seen demonstrating how she escaped with her hands tied behind, gagged and face covered with scarves. He was found hanging from a wooden ladder’s stick on the neighbour’s terrace but there was no knot on the scarf.
Upon inspection, it was learnt that Agranya had downloaded a video titled ‘Full face cover challenge’ in his phone. Cops said that there was no reason for the teenager to commit suicide but the possibility of an accident could not be ruled out.
Arangya’s mother said the couple had no clue where the scarf came from; he only carried a chakri and a kite. She also revealed that her son usually played on their neighbour’s terrace
Reportedly, Agranya was undergoing a psychiatric treatment as he was a hyperactive kid who wasn’t attentive in studies. He was good with using phones and application so his family tried to keep the phone away from him. However, he would somehow always locate the phone.
Agranya, the only child to his parents, was supposed to be felicitated at his school on Thursday during Republic Day for securing second position at a double-lathi event at the third National Traditional Lathi Sports Championship in Indore.
Post the incident, he was rushed to Government Medical College but was declared dead. Sakkardara Police registered a case of accident death.