Modi govt. in Supreme Court clarified it’s not paying for migrants travel fares…
As reported in ThePrint, the Central government cleared out in front of the three-bench headed by Justices Ashok Bhushan, SK Kaul and MR Shah in Supreme Court (SC) that it wasn’t paying for the railway fare of the migrants traveling through Shramik Express and that state governments have been paying the respective ticket fares. The Centre on Thursday clarified the same to the SC during a virtual hearing vis-à-vis a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) on the problems migrants across the country have been facing due to COVID-19 lockdown.
Earlier the Centre had said it would pay 85% of the total railway fare and the state government would bear the remaining 15% of the cost. National BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra had earlier this month claimed that the Centre has been paying 85% of the railway fare for the migrants. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, who represented the Centre, in his statement to the SC clarified that either the state that sent migrants or received the migrants have paid for the rail fares.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi had earlier criticised the Centre and Railways for completely ignoring the Congress party’s demands that migrants should be made to travel free of cost to their homes. The day Congress announced to bear the entire travel cost of the migrants, Centre announced the 85:15 percent formula of cost sharing of tickets between the Centre and the concerned states.
As per ThePrint, a senior officer from an opposition-ruled state who said the back-and-forth on the issue was an ?eyewash, stated, After maintaining for so long that they (Centre) are bearing 85 per cent of the cost, at least today they have admitted that it is the states, which are paying for the travel of the migrants.
ThePrint had reported, Explaining the discrepancy, a railways ministry officer said the central government had never said it is bearing 85 per cent of the cost of the tickets, but maintained that it is paying 85 of the cost of running the trains. The ticket fare comprises 15 per cent. Running a train involves several costs. Ticket fare is just part of it. What the government has told the court today is not at odds with what was said earlier.
September 30, 2022 | Nagpur News | नागपुर समाचार | Hindi News Bulletin | Nation Next
Shashi Tharoor is capable of bringing Congress back in power, says Congress leader Ashish Deshmukh
Former MLA and Member of Parliamentary Board, MPCC Dr Ashish Deshmukh speaking about the nomination filed by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor for the post of Congress President on Friday, said, “Dr Shashi Tharoor is a popular Congress MP who has done remarkable work for the nation at the international level. It’s very welcoming thing that the election of Congress President is being done in a democratic manner. This is an important step for decentralisation in the party and the future of Congress is bright. Soniaji and Rahulji Gandhi contributed a lot to strengthen the party.”
Congress leader Deshmukh added, “This is an important step taken by the Congress elites for the elections in a democratic manner so that the party can take a higher flight. Dr Shashi Tharoor has cordial relations with everyone in the party; he has the ability to give a new direction to the party. I believe that he will be able to handle the responsibility of bringing the Congress to power in the country by taking the party forward with new strength. If he seriously deals with issues like unemployment, industry, agriculture, inflation then Congress will have fruitful days. By doing transparent politics, he will definitely convey the thought of Congress to the people at the grassroots level. If you want a rejuvenated, bigger and dynamic Congress party, Dr. Shashi Tharoor is the right candidate. He has the open support of Congress delegates in 12 states and is getting the support of Congress leaders and activists from all over India. He will be elected for sure.”
Deshmukh informed that Tharoor would be visiting Nagpur on October 1 and 2 to hear out all thoughts of Congress delegates.
Nagpur citizens to revel The Raaas Garba next year!
Since The Raaas enchanted and enthralled Nagpur with its quality garba in its first year in 2018, the demand for encore has been reverberating the city. To cater to the huge public demand, the organisers of the king of garbas have decided to continue The Raaas next year on. Like its first year, The Raaas Garba will be presented to Nagpur in association with Nation Next in 2023. Mahesh Kukreja, the key organiser said, “Because of some reasons, we, earlier, thought of giving the event a break.”
He added, “Then COVID-19 struck the world. Now we plan to continue it from next year onwards. While I express my gratitude to Nagpurians to make the event a huge hit, I request the city’s garba revellers to not get fooled as a few garbas are falsely claiming to be The Raaas. We’ll be back next year for sure!”