Track Nation Next on Social Media
Nation Next

Nagpur News Business

Trouble brews in Nagpur hospitality industry as it stares at ₹1500 crore losses


Trouble has been brewing in Nagpur’s hospitality industry ever since last year’s lockdown, which left the industry completely paralysed. With bare minimum sales for months last year and no certainty as to when restaurants would revive their businesses, the industry stares at a dark future.


However, some restaurateurs in Nagpur heaved a sigh of relief after Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) recently permitted restaurants and bar to operate till 7 pm. All the restaurants and bars would have to operate at a 50% capacity. Action would be taken against anyone who is seen flouting COVID-19 norms. Apart from this, home delivery of food is permissible till 11 pm. Despite the partial relaxations, there seems to be a harsh reality that the hospitality sector is struggling to cope with…

Nagpur Residential Hotels Association (NRHA) President Tejinder Singh Renu said, Nagpur hotels mainly earn revenue from people coming for dinners over lunches. Usually very limited people wanting to have a business meet, etc., would come for lunch ? even before COVID-19 pandemic hit us. Majority people come for dinner and that’s what keeps the restaurants rolling.

He said, Shutting down restaurants and hotels by 7 pm makes no sense at all. We have requested NMC Commissioner B Radhakrishnan and Nagpur District Collector Ravindra Thakare to extend the timing till 11 pm. It’s not like the virus is more active during the evening. Plus, we’re ready to take all safety measures and follow protocols.


He added, Hotels earn primarily from tariffs generated from rooms, restaurants, and banquets. Now, due to pandemic, only 50% occupancy has made the situation difficult. Unlike other industry, our product is perishable. Once the night is gone and our room is unoccupied, we’ve lost the opportunity.

Renu added, Despite RBIs guidelines of restructuring loans, banks aren’t co-operating. There’s a huge problem in managing funds. Our usual turnover is around ₹2000 to ₹2500 crores annually. However, due to pandemic, we could hardly manage ₹800-900 crore in 2020-21. So certainly, we’ve incurred a revenue loss of around ₹1500 crore from Nagpur.


When we spoke to Angadh Arora, Director at Centre Point Group of Hotels & Resorts and co-owner at Pablo ? the Art Café Lounge, he said, The authorities have given us a time limit till 7 pm to operate our restaurants. Which customer prefers winding up his dinner by 7 pm? Moreover, when a customer comes for dinner at say 6 pm, we?d have to tell them that it would be their last order as 7 pm is the closing time.


He added, We at Hotel Centre Point have incurred almost Rs 4 crore losses in just one month (from mid February to mid March) as Nagpur people, due to uncertainty, shifted their wedding venues out of the state. Nagpur’s hotel association has incurred monthly losses of Rs 250 crores due to lockdown restrictions. Our high operational expenses that are being incurred for running the restaurant for a stipulated time are only worsening our businesses. So, in such a case, its only better if we don’t operate at all!

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Nagpur News

17-year-old girl gang-raped in car at Nagpur

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

Nagpur Police arrested two men on Wednesday for allegedly gang-raping a 17-year-old girl in a car on Monday…

2 arrested after gang raping 17-yr-old in car | Nagpur

Representational Image

 
Nagpur Police arrested two men on Wednesday for allegedly gang-raping a 17-year-old girl in a car in Saoner (40 kms from Nagpur city) on Monday. The cops, initiated an extensive search immediately after receiving a complaint and arrested the two. 
 
The two accused convinced the teenage girl to travel with them in car by offering her to drop her at her destination. The survivor, who was clueless about the accused’s intentions, helped them by giving directions for the destination.
 
Cops said the two, however, took a detour on the way and took her to an isolated place, parked the car and allegedly gang-raped her. The duo has been booked under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, among other charges.

Also read: Nagpur: 3 men gang rape woman, stab her to death with axe, again rape her dead body

Continue Reading

Nagpur News

Nagpur citizens walk to celebrate city’s heritage ahead of Republic Day | In Pictures

Published

on

By

Avani Arya | Nagpur
On the account of arriving Republic Day festival, a heritage dialogue was held on January 22, 2023. The aim was to celebrate the buildings that are living witnesses of the spirit of power centres belonging to today’s Indian democracy and the era of 1903 when Nagpur was the capital of the Central Provinces.
 
The walk included a brief narrative from 1861, where after the mutiny, the detached position of Nagpur District and territories of Saugor and Nerbudda led to the formation of a new province termed “Central Province.”
 
The walk covered the architecture of the structures that were the centre of British rule in the central provinces. Various public buildings of that era, such as the old secretariat, the old High Court building, and the General Post Office, which are eminent examples of British colonial architecture, were covered. Materials like sandstone, basalt, and brick masonry are used to craft the elements of the building’s architecture.
 
During the walk, the stickers designed by team Sakha were distributed to participants as a souvenir, which was one of the key attractions for the participants and a reason for enthusiasm too.
 
The walk was followed by snacks and tea, over which dialogues on improving the condition of heritage structures were held. The citizens sharing their independent opinions was the true celebration of Indian democracy.
 
The walk was organised under the leadership of Ar Sandeep Pathe by team Sakha, which includes Ar Mayuri Deodhar, Ar Amruta Gangakhedkar, Ar Renuka Marotkar, Ar Yashwardhan Pincha, Ar Asmita Korpenwar, Ms Anjali Karpate, Ms Sakshi Mishra, Ms Shruti Beohar and Ms Vrushal Gurbaxani
 
Continue Reading

Nagpur News

Rotary Club of Nagpur Vision organises kidathon, 4000 children participate

Published

on

By

Avani Arya | Nagpur

Rotary club of Nagpur Vision organized a marathon for children on January 22, 2023 called as RCNV KIDATHON. The venue was WCL ground, Civil Lines where approximately 4000 children between the age group pf 7-15 years participated.

They were divided into three groups of three km, four km and five km according to the age. Children of age seven to 10 participated in three km, 11-13 in four km and 14 – 15 in five km marathon. The motto behind this marathon was to encourage and educate children about out door activities and importance of exercise.

Fund raised by this event was donated to Gram Heeth for the benefit of farmers. The event was flagged-off by the hands of the Chief Guests, NMC Commissioner Radhakrishnan B and Dr Amit Samarth at half past six in the morning.

Different routes were planned for the children under the strict security of RCNV volunteers and police. Once the children finished the marathon they were handed goodie bags, certificates and medals.

The sponsors for this mega event were Mauli group, Parekh brothers, Ajinkya tutorials, Oak & Chisel, Xenicon Healthcare, Gaysons, Dinshaws, Treat ice cream, Bharatvarsh farms, Diamond chips, Icad Adventures and you, Sunder biscuits, Kamal Chabrani. Medical partner for the event was Seven Star Hospital.

The mega event took place under the guidance and supervision of RCNV President Dr Shivani Sule, Treasurer Rtn Ritesh Amidwar, Chairperson and huge number of volunteers from the club.

Also Read: Moscow-Goa flight with 240 passengers on board diverted amid bomb threat; 2nd incident in two weeks

Continue Reading
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x