Connect with us

Nagpur News Crime

Nagpur CP Amitesh Kumar permanently bans sex trade in ‘Ganga-Jamuna’ area


In a bold move, Nagpur City Police Commissioner IPS Amitesh Kumar, permanently banned the sex trade in Nagpur’s red-light area Ganga-Jamuna.
The order was issued under Section 7 (B) of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. CP’s move has invited criticisms from the Commercial Sex Workers (CSWs) and ignited agitation, which has now led to a strong protest.
Ahead of the festive season, by banning the sex trade at Ganga-Jamuna, the CP has put livelihood of many sex workers at stake, said media reports quoting sex workers.
According to various media reports, the CP has declared many areas under Nagpur City Police as public places.
These areas included- Balaji Mandir, Sharda Devi Mandir, Chinteshwar Mandir, NMC Chinteshwar School, Radha Swami Satsang, Juni Mangalwari, Hindustan High School, Ganga-Jamuna and others.
According to the law, the CP has banned prostitution and sex trade within 200-meters of these public places.
Prior to this permanent ban, CP Kumar had earlier curbed flesh trade at the Ganga Jamuna are on August 11. He heard public grievances on this issue and personally paid attention to them.
He had extended a hand of help to the sex workers of the area asking them to enrol for rehabilitation. However, this move failed as no one came forward for the same.
In the past, many agitators staged protests against CP’s move, which were supported by various social workers and organisations.
All most every sex worker involved in prostitution in the Ganja-Jamuna area has gone on strike against CP Kumar’s decision of banning flesh trade.
This is a developing story. More updates to follow.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Crime

Miscreants vandalise property at Nagpur’s Bishop Cotton School, throw liquor bottles in classrooms

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

Some unknown miscreants in Nagpur vandalised Bishop Cotton School situated on VIP in Dharampeth during the weekend. Apart from the broken plant pots and damaged earthing wires, empty alcohol bottles could also be seen thrown on the floor of the classrooms.


Prima facie it seems some drunkards might have used the school as their hang out place to consume alcohol as it was a weekend and the school was closed. However, nothing could be ascertained as of now; the investigation on the same is on. 


When Nation Next spoke to Sonia Singh, Principal at Bishop Cotton School, she told us, What kind of a mentality is this Such people should at least spare kids. It’s so disheartening to see something like this. Class 10 students had their board exams today; unfortunately, we couldn’t indulge them much.”

Singh added, “All the pots have been broken, the earthing wires for the newly installed water cooler for kids has also been damaged.”

However, Singh, who filed an FIR at Sitabuld Police Station today, said, this wasn’t the first such incident; even during lockdown, some miscreants had stolen printers and other property of the school. 

Continue Reading

Crime

ED arrests Nagpur advocate Satish Ukey who filed petition against Fadnavis

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

Satish Ukey

Satish Ukey

Enforcement Directorate (ED) took the custody of RTI activist advocate Satish Ukey and his brother Pradeep Ukey after raiding the former’s residence at Parvati Nagar in Nagpur on Thursday morning at 7 am. Satish, who is also the lawyer of  MPCC President Nana Patole, had filed an election petition against former Chief Minister and Leader of the Opposition (LoP) Devendra Fadnavis.


Ukey had alleged that Fadnavis hadn’t disclosed pending criminal cases against him while filing his nomination papers for the 2009 and 2014 Assembly elections, and thus violated the Representation of People’s Act, 1951. For the past few years, Ukey had also been filing petitions in court against several BJP leaders.

 

During the raid, an army of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel was also deployed under his house. The crime branch had issued a notice to Ukey regarding a land transaction in Nagpur. 

Continue Reading

Crime

ED raids house of Nagpur advocate Satish Ukey, who had filed RTI petition against Devendra Fadnavis

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

L to R: Devendra Fadnavis, Satish Ukey

L to R: Devendra Fadnavis, Satish Ukey

Enforcement Directorate (ED) raided the house of Congress President for Maharashtra Nana Patole’s lawyer and RTI activist advocate Satish Ukey’s since Thursday early morning. An army of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel has also been deployed under his house as the raids are underway.
 

 

Ukey grabbed headlines after he filed an election petition against former Chief Minister and Leader of the Opposition (LoP) Devendra Fadnavis. Ukey had alleged that Fadnavis did not disclose pending criminal cases against him while filing his nomination papers for the 2009 and 2014 Assembly elections, and thus violated the Representation of People’s Act, 1951. For the past few years, Ukey had also been filing petitions in court against several BJP leaders.

 

 

The reason behind the ED raid against the remains unclear as of now. However, the crime branch had issued a notice to Ukey regarding a land transaction in Nagpur. There are likely to be raids related to this case.

 

 

At around 7 am on Thursday, ED’s Mumbai squad including women officers reached Ukey’s residence at Parvati Nagar. For the past two hours, ED has been searching Ukey’s house and interrogating him.

 

Satish Ukey's house at Parvati Nagar in Nagpur

Satish Ukey’s house at Parvati Nagar in Nagpur

 

More details are awaited.
Continue Reading

Trending

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x