Connect with us

COVID-19 Daily Updates

WHO acknowledges possibility of airborne spread of COVID-19

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove

In a media briefing held on July 7, the World Health Organization (WHO) acknowledged the possibility of airborne transmission of COVID-19. WHOs announcement comes after 239 scientists from 32 countries through an open letter in claimed coronavirus can spread through air and asked the health body to revise its recommendations concerning the pandemic.

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, technical lead on the COVID-19 pandemic at WHO, said, We have been talking about the possibility of airborne and aerosol transmission as one of the modes of transmission of COVID-19. WHO had previously claimed that coronavirus primarily spreads through small droplets expelled from nose and mouth of an infected person that quickly sink in to the ground.

Also read : Rahul Gandhi calls India’s COVID-19 fight failure, says it will be case study at Harvard

Dr Kerkhove said that WHO would publish a scientific brief summarising the state of knowledge on modes of transmission of the virus in the coming days. A comprehensive package of interventions is required to be able to stop transmission, she said.

Benedetta Allegranzi, WHOs technical lead for infection prevention and control, said during the briefing that there is evidence emerging of airborne transmission of coronavirus but that it was not definitive. The possibility of airborne transmission in public settings – especially in very specific conditions, crowded, closed, poorly ventilated settings cannot be ruled out. However, the evidence needs to be gathered and interpreted, she added. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Daily Updates

Active COVID cases near 30,000 mark in Nagpur

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur


Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally, on Tuesday, January 25, reached 5,43,064 (till 5 pm) as 4028 (972 from rural and 2956 from city) new cases were recorded in a single day. 

Also, active COVID cases, as on Tuesday, could be seen inching closer to 30,000 mark in the district.

Six people lost their lives (one from rural and five from city) on Tuesday. Till now, 10,183 people have lost their lives due to COVID-19 in the district. Total tests taken were 11,377.
While patients who recovered on Tuesday were 2519, the total number of recovered patients stood at 503729.

Continue Reading

Daily Updates

Nagpur reports 90 COVID cases in past 24 hours

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally on Sunday, January 2 reached 4,94,193 (till 5 pm) as 90 (73 city, nine rural) more people tested positive for the virus. 

Also, five patients recovered on Sunday taking the number of recoveries to 4,83,664. 

Till now, 10123 people have lost their lives due to COVID in the district. As of now, there are 406 active COVID patients in the district. 

Continue Reading

Daily Updates

ALARMING! Nagpur reports 88 COVID cases in past 24 hours

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur


Nagpur registered 88 (81 from city) new COVID-19 positive cases on Friday, December 31. Nagpur previously had recorded as minimum as six cases on December 24. 

Continue Reading

Trending

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x