Connect with us

COVID-19

PCBs anti-corruption unit issues notice to Umar Akmal for failing to report spot-fixing

Umar Akmal has been sent a show notice by PCB's anti-corruption unit for failing to report a corrupt approach before a match during the ICC World Cup 2015.
Umar Akmal (Photo Source: Getty Images)

Pakistani cricketer Umar Akmal has been sent a show notice by Pakistan Cricket Boards (PCB) anti-corruption unit for failing to report a corrupt approach before an ICC World Cup 2015 match between India and Pakistan. He has also been told to explain his claims of being approached by spot-fixers during the World Cup.

Akmal had made the claim during a recent interview with Samaa TV. Akmal said during the interview, I got an offer to play two dot balls and they were willing to pay me $200,000 for that. It was our first match against India in the 2015 ICC World Cup. Similar offers have been made in the past. In matches against India I’ve been asked many times to make some excuse and sit out of the game for which I would be paid. I told those people that I am committed to Pakistan and to not approach me with such offers again.

As per reports, the International Cricket Council (ICC) too have launched an investigation into Akmal’s explosive claims made during the interview. A statement released by ICC read: The ICC is aware of a recent interview given by Umar Akmal. Whilst we note that there is no suggestion that any ‘fix’ actually took place, the ICC is reliant on players to report any corrupt approaches in a timely manner. This is critical to our efforts to gather information on potential ‘fixers’ and to disrupt and prevent their efforts to corrupt the game. As such we are taking Akmal’s comments very seriously.”

The match, which Akmal spoke about, was won by India by 76 runs at Adelaide. India and Pakistan will face each other next at the 2019 World Cup at Old Trafford, Manchester on June 16.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Daily Updates

Active COVID cases near 30,000 mark in Nagpur

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur


Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally, on Tuesday, January 25, reached 5,43,064 (till 5 pm) as 4028 (972 from rural and 2956 from city) new cases were recorded in a single day. 

Also, active COVID cases, as on Tuesday, could be seen inching closer to 30,000 mark in the district.

Six people lost their lives (one from rural and five from city) on Tuesday. Till now, 10,183 people have lost their lives due to COVID-19 in the district. Total tests taken were 11,377.
While patients who recovered on Tuesday were 2519, the total number of recovered patients stood at 503729.

Continue Reading

Daily Updates

Nagpur reports 90 COVID cases in past 24 hours

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally on Sunday, January 2 reached 4,94,193 (till 5 pm) as 90 (73 city, nine rural) more people tested positive for the virus. 

Also, five patients recovered on Sunday taking the number of recoveries to 4,83,664. 

Till now, 10123 people have lost their lives due to COVID in the district. As of now, there are 406 active COVID patients in the district. 

Continue Reading

Daily Updates

ALARMING! Nagpur reports 88 COVID cases in past 24 hours

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur


Nagpur registered 88 (81 from city) new COVID-19 positive cases on Friday, December 31. Nagpur previously had recorded as minimum as six cases on December 24. 

Continue Reading

Trending

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x