COVID-19 Daily Updates
74-yr-old COVID-19 positive buried on municipal land in Nagpur after cemeterys refusal
A 74-year-old man in Nagpur who succumbed to COVID-19 was buried on citys municipal land after Jaripatka Christian Cemetery denied the permission for his burial. The cemetery said it would only allow burial of his ashes post cremation.
A civic official said that the cemetery was muddy hence there was problem digging the grave there.
The old man, who was undergoing treatment at citys government hospital since August 1 and lost his life on Sunday morning, was a member of the local Protestant church.
PTI reported, A member of the cemetery’s committee told them that the deceased’s ashes could be buried there, citing the COVID-19 outbreak and the facility being located close to some residential premises.
It further mentioned, We wanted a regular traditional burial without cremation (burning of body), for which we were not getting permission. They were reluctant for burial of a COVID-19 patient in the Jaripatka cemetery.
It was getting late and the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) authorities were waiting for the family’s approval for the last rites of the deceased. NMC gave the family a burial place on their Mankapur crematorium premises. The deceased was buried there as per Christian tradition.
Ganesh Barve, President at Jaripatka Christian Cemetery told PTI, The cemetery is situated in a residential locality and there was lack of space there due the rains. There was also a problem of digging the grave due to rains. We referred to them instances, in which some COVID-19 patients were cremated at ghats and their ashes were buried in the cemetery as per Christian rituals. We also gave them an option for burial at Bhandewadi cemetery, which is located in a little remote area. However, we did not get a call back from them.
Daily Updates
Active COVID cases near 30,000 mark in Nagpur
Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally, on Tuesday, January 25, reached 5,43,064 (till 5 pm) as 4028 (972 from rural and 2956 from city) new cases were recorded in a single day.
Also, active COVID cases, as on Tuesday, could be seen inching closer to 30,000 mark in the district.
Daily Updates
Nagpur reports 90 COVID cases in past 24 hours
Nagpur’s COVID-19 tally on Sunday, January 2 reached 4,94,193 (till 5 pm) as 90 (73 city, nine rural) more people tested positive for the virus.
Daily Updates
ALARMING! Nagpur reports 88 COVID cases in past 24 hours
Nagpur registered 88 (81 from city) new COVID-19 positive cases on Friday, December 31. Nagpur previously had recorded as minimum as six cases on December 24.
-
Social3 years ago
Politicians, businessmen shower blessings on Chandrashekhar Bawankule’s son Sanket at his wedding reception
-
Social3 years ago
Nagpur gets its first 7 am cafe ‘SEVEN O’ ELEVEN’ at Shraddhanand Peth
-
Parties3 years ago
Couples have a blast, win awards at ‘Hollywood Oscar Night’ in Nagpur
-
Politics3 years ago
Shatrughan Sinha, Prithviraj Chavan grace Ranjeet Deshmukh’s 75th birthday celebrations in Nagpur
-
Parties3 years ago
Family, friends ‘wine n dine’ at Dr Shilpa Mukherji’s birthday bash in Nagpur
-
Social3 years ago
Sunil Kedar kicks off 10-day Late Dr Shrikant Jichkar Memorial Cricket Tournament in Nagpur
-
Politics3 years ago
Disgruntled Ashish Deshmukh resigns as Maharashtra Congress General Secretary
-
Remembrance3 years ago
Renowned singer KK passes away at 53