Track Nation Next on Social Media

Tamil Nadu: A suspected act of suicide bombing under investigation

An LPG cylinder burst inside a Maruti 800 car near the Kottai Eswaran temple in Coimbatore around 4:30 am on Sunday, 23 October. After the explosion, Jameesha Mubin who was driving vehicle jumped out of the burning automobile and slumped a few feet away on the ground. Before anyone in the area, including police officers nearby could react, the body was burnt.

The explosion was initially believed to be an accident, but later it was discovered that it might be a terrorist attack. Reportedly, during the investigation, items leading to the possibility of a terrorist attack were found.

The Tamil Nadu DGP Sylendra Babu said “We found in that vehicle, nails, marbles and other stuff which are being examined by the forensic department. Following a search at his house we recovered some low intensive explosives—potassium nitrate, aluminum powder, charcoal, sulphur—used in making country bombs.”

The CCTV footage outside Mubin’s house showed four men carrying a heavy item wrapped in a sack on the day of the explosion. Based on the footage, police arrested five men. “A few of them had visited Kerala earlier and that they were also questioned by the NIA in 2019,” said Coimbatore Commissioner Balakrishnan.

The police recovered a list of popular tourist locations in Coimbatore, including government offices and public gathering areas from Mubin’s residence.

A sixth suspect, 28 year old electrical K Afsar Khan was arrested on Thursday, October 27. The DGP said “We have extracted information crucial to the blast probe from five people who had been arrested earlier. I appreciate Coimbatore city police commissioner Balakrishnan and his team for acting swiftly and arresting another suspect. The police will now assist the NIA in the investigation.”

Criticizing Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) government and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin, state BJP leader Annamalai said, the police must treat the incident as a ‘suicide attack’. He continued by saying that the TN BJP has requested an NIA investigation in a letter addressed to the home minister of BJP Amit Shah, on this. The ‘cylinder blast’ in Coimbatore is no longer just a ‘cylinder blast’. ISIS ties are obvious in this act of terrorism.

CM MK Stalin, officiated over a high-level meeting to discuss the state’s law and order situation where he recommend that the NIA look into the situation. A special force was also to be formed, along with the installation of sophisticated surveillance cameras, in order to prevent any such incident.

Reportedly, Six of the suspects detained in this case told the NIA during questioning that Mubin believed his suicide bombing operation would result in destruction in the vicinity within a radius of 50 to 100 meters and would also affect certain homes, including the Kottai Eswaran temple.

An LPG cylinder burst inside a Maruti 800 car near the Kottai Eswaran temple in Coimbatore around 4:30 am on Sunday, 23 October. After the explosion, Jameesha Mubin who was driving vehicle jumped out of the burning automobile and slumped a few feet away on the ground. Before anyone in the area, including police officers nearby could react, the body was burnt.

The explosion was initially believed to be an accident, but later it was discovered that it might be a terrorist attack. Reportedly, during the investigation, items leading to the possibility of a terrorist attack were found.

The Tamil Nadu DGP Sylendra Babu said “We found in that vehicle, nails, marbles and other stuff which are being examined by the forensic department. Following a search at his house we recovered some low intensive explosives—potassium nitrate, aluminum powder, charcoal, sulphur—used in making country bombs.”

The CCTV footage outside Mubin’s house showed four men carrying a heavy item wrapped in a sack on the day of the explosion. Based on the footage, police arrested five men. “A few of them had visited Kerala earlier and that they were also questioned by the NIA in 2019,” said Coimbatore Commissioner Balakrishnan.

The police recovered a list of popular tourist locations in Coimbatore, including government offices and public gathering areas from Mubin’s residence.

A sixth suspect, 28 year old electrical K Afsar Khan was arrested on Thursday, October 27. The DGP said “We have extracted information crucial to the blast probe from five people who had been arrested earlier. I appreciate Coimbatore city police commissioner Balakrishnan and his team for acting swiftly and arresting another suspect. The police will now assist the NIA in the investigation.”

Criticizing Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) government and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin, state BJP leader Annamalai said, the police must treat the incident as a ‘suicide attack’. He continued by saying that the TN BJP has requested an NIA investigation in a letter addressed to the home minister of BJP Amit Shah, on this. The ‘cylinder blast’ in Coimbatore is no longer just a ‘cylinder blast’. ISIS ties are obvious in this act of terrorism.

CM MK Stalin, officiated over a high-level meeting to discuss the state’s law and order situation where he recommend that the NIA look into the situation. A special force was also to be formed, along with the installation of sophisticated surveillance cameras, in order to prevent any such incident.

Reportedly, Six of the suspects detained in this case told the NIA during questioning that Mubin believed his suicide bombing operation would result in destruction in the vicinity within a radius of 50 to 100 meters and would also affect certain homes, including the Kottai Eswaran temple.

Also Read: Govt announces amended IT – Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Rules

Continue Reading
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

COVID-19

Thane Municipal Corporation adds 25 beds as COVID cases rise

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Thane

Thane Municipal Corporation added 25 additional beds separately in the wake of rapidly rising COVID-19 cases.

Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) added 25 additional beds in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Hospital Kalwa apart from arranging a special ward  dedicated to COVID-19 patients. The total number of active patients in the city stood at 252 while five succumbed to the virus.  Meanwhile, TMC Commissioner Abhijit Bangar said a ‘death audit’ of patients who died of COVID would be conducted. The TMC has ensured it has additional stock of oxygen concentrators, testing kits, medicines, to name a few. Bangar told HT, “Due to the increasing number of Covid patients, it is necessary for everyone to be alert.”

He added, The number of Covid tests should be increased to stay one step ahead of the disease. As a result, the number of patients is likely to increase due to increased testing. However, as per the ‘test, isolate, treat’ protocol for Covid, it becomes necessary to isolate and treat more and more patients. The testing centres will not remain closed even for a single day. At the same time, more arrangements for testing will be made immediately in public places, markets, railway stations, malls.” 

India recorded 3,095 new COVID cases and five deaths in last 24 hours.

Also read: Nagpur records 22 COVID cases in 24 hours

Continue Reading

Politics

After Rahul Gandhi’s disqualification, his namesake who contested from Wayanad disqualified

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Wayanad
An independent candidate named Rahul Gandhi has been disqualified from contesting polls for failing to lodge account of election expenses.

Rahul Gandhi

An independent candidate for Lok Sabha elections named Rahul Gandhi was disqualified from contesting polls for failing to lodge account of election expenses. Gandhi, who’s name figures as ‘Rahul Gandhi K E S/o Valsamma’ in an Election Commission list of persons, had contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections as an Independent and had received 2196 votes from the Wayanad seat in Kerala – a constituency from where ex-Congress MP Rahul Rajiv Gandhi had won with over seven lakh votes.

However, since it is mandatory for all contestants to submit their account of election expenses among other mandatory requirements under EC rules and the Representation of the People Act.

Rahul Gandhi K E S/o Valsamma stood disqualified to contest polls from September 13, 2021 till September 13, 2024. According to Section 10A, the Election Commission can disqualify a contestant for a period of three years from the date of the order if he/she has failed to lodge an account of election expenses within the time and in the manner required by law and has no good reason or justification for the failure.

Also read: ‘CBI under UPA govt. pressurised me to frame Modi,’ recalls Amit Shah

Continue Reading

Nagpur News

Nagpur records 22 COVID cases in 24 hours

Published

on

By

Radhika Dhawad | Nagpur

A total of 22 patients tested positive for COVID-19 in Nagpur in past 24 hours on Thursday. Almost 242 people were tested in the city.

A total of 22 patients tested positive for COVID-19 in Nagpur in past 24 hours on Thursday. Almost 242 people were tested in the city, out of which 15 belonged to urban area while and 6 were from the rural areas, and one from outside Nagpur district. 

At present, there are 72 active patients in the city. Three new cases of the new XBB.1.16 variant of COVID-19 were detected that took the total tally to five in the district.  

India recorded 3,095 new COVID cases and five deaths in last 24 hours.

Also read: CELESTIAL! Unique alignment of Moon and 5 planets

Continue Reading
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x