In the Thane Nagar police station, Shiv Sena leader Vandana Dongre has filed a complaint against Congress MP Rahul Gandhi for allegedly making “derogatory remarks” against independence fighter VD Savarkar on Thursday, November 17 during the Bharat Jodo Yatra.
A case of Non-Cognizable (NCR) Offense has been registered under section 500, 501 of IPC, an officer said on Friday.
“Rahul Gandhi during the Bharat Jodo Yatra made a statement defaming the freedom fighter Savarkar and due to this the sentiments of the local citizens have been hurt,” Dongre said.
“We will not tolerate the defamation of our great men in the soil of Maharashtra,” she added.
Rahul Gandhi, whose Bharat Jodo Yatra is currently travelling through Maharashtra, held a press conference at Wadegaon in the Akola district on Thursday. There he said, “Veer Savarkar, in a letter written to the British, said “Sir, I beg to remain your most obedient servant” and signed on it. Savarkar helped the British. He betrayed leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Patel by signing the letter out of fear.”
Gandhi had already spoken at a rally held as part of his yatra two days ago at Hingoli in Maharashtra on the occasion of ‘Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas’, referring to Savarkar as a representation of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). “He served two to three years in prison in Andaman. He began drafting appeals for compassion, the Congress MP had stated.
Protest march was organised by Balasaheb’s Shiv Sena party in response to Rahul Gandhi’s comments in Thane district on November 17.
The late Nationalist ideologue’s grandson, Ranjit Savarkar also filed a complaint against Gandhi for allegedly insulting his grandfather on Thursday at the Shivaji Park police station in Mumbai.
Nagpur’s first OTT platform unleashes supernatural thrills in game-changing feature film
Nagpur’s first-ever OTT platform, AJCPlay, is all set to make a significant impact with its upcoming feature film, “Shinigami’s Box: Origins.” Breaking away from conventional narratives, this supernatural thriller brings a fresh genre to the city’s film landscape, captivating audiences with its intriguing storyline and talented cast.
With only a handful of movies made in Nagpur, AnuragJha Creations has taken on the challenge of producing this groundbreaking film, aiming to set new benchmarks for the local film industry. Unlike movies driven by political backing, social issues, or commercial motives, “Shinigami’s Box: Origins” sets itself apart with its commitment to a fresh story, pure talent, and captivating presentation.
The film’s journey began three years ago, with meticulous scripting and development before it was brought to life. “Shinigami’s Box: Origins” follows Inspector Kabir of the Special Crimes Unit as he races against time to uncover the mysterious connection between a captured masked criminal and an otherworldly box that appears in a secluded village on the city’s outskirts, as revealed on the film’s IMDb page.
Directed by Anurag Jha, the film features an ensemble cast, with the director himself portraying the enigmatic character of Shinigami. Joining him are Yash Krishnani, Shreeyanshi Katre, Rishi Raj, Avani Arya, Abhijeet Daigavane, and other talented actors in prominent roles, collectively showcasing the city’s pool of acting talent.
The entire film is shot on location in Nagpur, further emphasizing the production’s commitment to highlighting the city’s vibrant culture and aesthetics. Set to release in the later half of 2023, “Shinigami’s Box: Origins” promises an immersive cinematic experience that will leave audiences on the edge of their seats.
As AJCPlay aims to provide a platform for local talent and storytelling, “Shinigami’s Box: Origins” serves as a milestone for Nagpur’s film industry. With its fresh approach and unwavering dedication to quality, this supernatural thriller is poised to captivate viewers and establish a new standard for filmmaking in the city.
Thane Municipal Corporation adds 25 beds as COVID cases rise
Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) added 25 additional beds in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Hospital Kalwa apart from arranging a special ward dedicated to COVID-19 patients. The total number of active patients in the city stood at 252 while five succumbed to the virus. Meanwhile, TMC Commissioner Abhijit Bangar said a ‘death audit’ of patients who died of COVID would be conducted. The TMC has ensured it has additional stock of oxygen concentrators, testing kits, medicines, to name a few. Bangar told HT, “Due to the increasing number of Covid patients, it is necessary for everyone to be alert.”
He added, The number of Covid tests should be increased to stay one step ahead of the disease. As a result, the number of patients is likely to increase due to increased testing. However, as per the ‘test, isolate, treat’ protocol for Covid, it becomes necessary to isolate and treat more and more patients. The testing centres will not remain closed even for a single day. At the same time, more arrangements for testing will be made immediately in public places, markets, railway stations, malls.”
India recorded 3,095 new COVID cases and five deaths in last 24 hours.
Also read: Nagpur records 22 COVID cases in 24 hours
After Rahul Gandhi’s disqualification, his namesake who contested from Wayanad disqualified
An independent candidate for Lok Sabha elections named Rahul Gandhi was disqualified from contesting polls for failing to lodge account of election expenses. Gandhi, who’s name figures as ‘Rahul Gandhi K E S/o Valsamma’ in an Election Commission list of persons, had contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections as an Independent and had received 2196 votes from the Wayanad seat in Kerala – a constituency from where ex-Congress MP Rahul Rajiv Gandhi had won with over seven lakh votes.
However, since it is mandatory for all contestants to submit their account of election expenses among other mandatory requirements under EC rules and the Representation of the People Act.
Rahul Gandhi K E S/o Valsamma stood disqualified to contest polls from September 13, 2021 till September 13, 2024. According to Section 10A, the Election Commission can disqualify a contestant for a period of three years from the date of the order if he/she has failed to lodge an account of election expenses within the time and in the manner required by law and has no good reason or justification for the failure.